View Single Post
Old 27-06-2011, 02:39   #12
davidthornton
Inactive

davidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nice
Re: Future Proof House Install

I've actually done most of what the OP requires, retrofit in an old house. Had the cables dragged through cavities.

Sky and Freeview are provided through a 16 port multiswitch and a 80cm dish which has a quattro LNB on it. 4 cables run from the LNB into the multiswitch. A 5th cable from the Freeview aerial also runs into the multiswitch. 16 cables run out of the multiswitch, 2 to each room (allowing for Sky+). Each room has a diplexer to splitout the Freeview and Sky outputs within the wallplate.

I've also run CAT6 to each room and have RJ45 outlets near the TV points, as well as elsewhere in the room. Standard telephones can be run over this with the required adapters. All phone points run back to a Panasonic phone exchange. The phone exchange, the TV multiswitch and the Ethernet switch are all located in one central comms cupboard. External phone lines run into that cupboard as well, as does Virgin Media broadband and cable TV. Therefore all routers are located in the cupboard as well. WiFi is offered by seperate wireless access points situated around the house.

For Virgin Media, I have only provisioned 3 rooms for Cable TV but I could have done more simply by running coaxial to the others from the comms cupboard. All 3 rooms are fed via an appropriate splitter, available from Virgin Media. I've seen larger than 3 way splitters but I am not sure what the box limit (if any) Virgin Media specify. The TV coax, telephone line and seperate broadband coax run to a box outside on the wall of the house which is fed from the road.

Ensure enough RJ45 ethernet sockets are provisioned next to TV points, as well as near appropriate seating areas. Having a phone exchange is nice because it allows for inter-room/floor calling and all phone lines through the house can be run through it. No need to have DECT basetations everywhere plugged in. I prefer it.

I couldn't have run fibre everywhere because of the bend/turn requirements of that. It cannot be bent like coax or CAT6 can be. Turns have to be gradual.
davidthornton is offline   Reply With Quote