View Single Post
Old 26-10-2009, 22:05   #11
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of
Re: Windows 7 TCP/IP tweaks - Tune your internet connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart_ View Post
Have you done one for Windows XP?
No. The standard advice of 'Use DrTCP' is good for WinXP, but the calculations are up to you. The RWIN value is very important, but very idiosyncratic. You will have to research and tune yourself as it comes down to your own connection. Vista and Win7 are more automated in this regard.

There is lots of info on tweaking with DrTCP available on the net. There is little info on Vista and Win7 and what there is is a bit technical and sometimes conflicting, so I thought I'd better pull it together for people.

As a note, Win7 is hot off the shelves of course, so if anyone experiences problems with my Win7 config. speak up. My Vista settings have been well tested.

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroki View Post
I ran the tests and it says that UPnP Support Test is Not supported.......is this something I should be concerned about?
My WGR614v9 did that once, a reboot of the router solved it.

There are a lot of settings that can affect UPnP, you'll have to google if you think they're out of whack. It should not affect the tweaks this thread is all about but I like to use UPnP. Port forwarding everything is a pain.

Win7 and Vista come with UPnP ready enabled (I never had XP but it should do UPnP with latest SPs without any further messing since my father's has, Win2K didn't do UPnP). It needs to be enabled in your router too. Firewalls can block UPnP, but the Windows firewall should be set to cope with it out of box.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote