View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 09:52   #52
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: New high speed rail link ...is it worth it ?

Well ordinary people would be those for whom money is an object and they'd include families for whom car transport will fpr the forseeable future be a cheaper option simply because the cost is pretty much the same in a car for one person as it is for 5 or 7. They's also include commuters who aren't City fat cats and many of whom have had to move further away from their places or work in order to make hosuing affordable but have seen their travel costs escalate over the years.

If this link is going to be primarily used by people who use the service infrequently then it's never going to make any money. Businesspeople will pass any extra costs involved to their customers if they can as we all know but I'm sure our politicians and VIPs will enjoy luxury high speed travel at the taxpayer's expense.

Please don't get me wrong, I't be great for us to have a modern high speed network, I just don't think it's money well spent now given the likely state of the economy for many years to come. Unless it's heavily state subsidised I don't think it'll be affordable for the majority of people who'd otherwise wish to use it whether they be single people, families or tourists.

If, by some miracle, we get out of the financial doldrums my view on this matter might well be different but for now, sadly, I see it as a gigantic white elephant.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote