View Single Post
Old 23-04-2017, 14:12   #1087
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
When cable tv first started in the UK, some of the old cablecos teamed up with colleges to produce content and even a few channels launched. In my area, we were meant to get a "proper" local tv channel in the early 90s, but it only got as far as a text service. It was meant to extend to a one hour news/current affairs show in the evening, but that never materialised.

As the cablecos started merging with each other and the "local" aspect of the companies started to be watered down as they grew into national companies, the idea of real local tv disappeared with them.

Cable can and should be able to deliver local tv, with advertising coming from local business, but this has never been harnessed, it's barely ever got off the ground.

These "made in" channels, are not local tv.
I'm old enough to remember when cinemas had adverts for local restaurants on car showrooms. I think local advertising is quite dead and the internet is king for this type of thing now.