View Single Post
Old 20-10-2016, 15:10   #19
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It would be very useful to have the Vimeo TV Store, and Liberty Global have an interest in this!

I believe that this is the way of the future, and there must be real concerns within Sky that such arrangements will take off and extend across the full spectrum of TV shows and films. On the down side, from what I have read, HBO are not likely to make use of this arrangement for the time being, preferring to offer all its own programming from their HBO site once existing deals have expired. Still bad news for Sky, though.

The way I read this, operators such as Sky would not be able to monopolise the availability of the content on the Vimeo TV Store to their own platforms.

I would like to think that Virgin Media would offer this service to its subscribers from the minute it is available in the UK. This initiative has the potential to grow exponentially.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/61689...onsgate-starz/

MIPCOM: Vimeo launches TV Store, partners with Lionsgate, Starz

Vimeo has launched a new transactional TV store, with Lionsgate and Starz the first partners to come on board to provide content to the service.

Vimeo TV Store launched at MIPCOM yesterday and the service is designed to let premium studios sell their shows on a pay-per view basis to viewers in more than 150 countries around the world.

Lionsgate is the first major Hollywood studio to provide content to the new venture, making virtually its entire TV catalogue available, including popular series like Orange is the New Black, The Royals, Mad Men and Weeds.

Starz will add its content in the coming weeks and will sell shows such as The Girlfriend Experience, Ash vs Evil Dead and Black Sails through the store.

Speaking to DTVE ahead of the launch, Vimeo vice-president of programming, Sam Toles, described Vimeo TV Store as “the first global television on-demand service.

“The real differentiator is, if you look at iTunes or Google, they do offer feature films on a worldwide basis, but television is limited to a handful of territories – between six and seven depending on the various players,” said Toles.

“We felt there was a real opportunity to open up television in a global window so that when shows are launched, they can be released transactionally next day from air in 150-plus territories and really give the world access to premium content. We’re opening that ecosystem now to studios and reverse engineering from the ground up.”

Toles said that, with the store, Vimeo is creating new windows and new ways for studios to monetise their content. He added that there will be “a number of other announcements over the coming months with additional providers of that level of quality joining the initiative”.

Starz chief operating officer, Jeffrey Hirsch, said: “Vimeo is undoubtedly one of the most cutting-edge online video platforms and Starz is very pleased to join Lionsgate in agreeing to provide content to Vimeo’s storefront.

“With this agreement, Starz will make available for purchase three of its most powerful and compelling Starz Original series for consumers around the world.”

I like Vimeo; I've bought a few non-mainstream items from them. They are available via my Amazon FireTV and many other devices including Roku, Apple TV etc. So again, not essential to be on Tivo, but no harm in it either.

https://vimeo.com/everywhere
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote