View Single Post
Old 21-12-2004, 22:21   #1
M35A2C
Inactive

M35A2C is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to M35A2C
Question Laptop hard drive causes Infra Red to stop working

Here's a weird one for all you tech-heads out there.

I have two identical laptops here in front of me, both PII 333Mhz running XP pro with service pack 2 but one has a 6Gb Fujitsu MHE2064AT and the other has a 10Gb IBM-DJSA-210 drive in it. Both BIOSes are set identically & HD detection is set to automatic.

The one with the IBM drive won't let the Infrared port start, it shows up with a yellow exclamation mark in the Device Manager and the properties brings up a dialogue saying "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Now if I swop the hard drives over between the machines the problem goes away in the computer but occurs in the other computer which means to me that it's the hard drive which is giving me grief.
The odd thing is that the computer which has the 6Gb drive in it (& a working IR port) shows up the infrared as "Built-in Infrared Device #2".

Why is it "#2" ?? I'm not that bothered that it is #2 but what the heck is happening here ???

As I said, the problem most definitely swops machines with the hard drive swap so it is in no way a fault in the hardware on the motherboard. The working machine talks to my phone quite happily.

There are no conflicts and both resource settings are the same;
I/O Range 02F8 - 02FF
IRQ 03
DMA 03

Oh yes, I also have a 4Gb drive which I've formatted & installed XP afresh & tried that too & it works fine.

What is it with this IBM drive that it can stop the infrared port ?

Help....
M35A2C is offline   Reply With Quote