View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 22:39   #23
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
Re: Car expert needed (Paintwork)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop80_uk
Not totally it depends the extent of the laquer peel, is it orange peeling, trick chipping or has water got under it. Laquer peel does not mean a total re-spray either as a good body shop (few years ago whilst at uni I worked in one) would rub back the laquer and re-laquer, not do a total re-spray unless required.

Pigment is also a major factor in paint fade, I agree with the other factors as well you listed but the chemical decomposition due to the actual pigment of the paint was a huge factor in paint technology some 10 years ago when the posters MX5 was produced. And a correct mop actually removes the top layer of paint / laquer.

Without seeing pictures of your car I can not comment totally but from what you have said Id say a full re-spray is not needed. Just my opinion.
Hi mate, i didn`t say a full respray was needed if you`ll re-read my post please. Orange peel just refers to the paint finish. I didn`t mention that.
You could wetflat the paintwork but you couldn`t be sure that the flaking/crazing/whatever could not be prevented from coming back again, could it.
I`ve worked in bodyshops for the last 24 years. I`m not a painter but i do have more than an inkling about what i`m suggesting here.
budwieser is offline   Reply With Quote