View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 10:03   #9
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
Re: Free Satalite Tv By Bbc And Itv To Launch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstamper View Post
This certainly merits a closer look, a one off payment of £120 for a HD stb, with BBC HD and ITV HD and no doubt C4 and C5 to follow. I can see now why Neil Berkett said VM doesn't need HD channels, I mean why pay VM when they come free with free-sat, add to this the cou de gras of withholding the content from Murdoch and the service seems a winner. If VM hope to keep their TV subscribers they are certainly going to need to up their game.
I think it's very early days yet, but you're right this could be a significant challenge to pay-tv.

In terms of HD offerings, there's only BBC HD and ITV HD - although it's unclear at this stage how much stuff ITV is broadcasting in HD anyway. It's expected that ITV HD will make its way to other platforms in time, but for now it's exclusive to FreeSat.

If a few more channels start to add HD content into the FreeSat lineup then this will be a big challenger to Sky HD and would appeal to the majority of people who watch the mainstream channels but don't want to pay an extra £120 per year for a subscription to a few HD channels.

I hope that Sky will drop it's HD subscription, but I don't really think FreeSat is compelling enough at this stage to convince them to do so....yet.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote