View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 17:52   #1
Floop1977
Inactive

Floop1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Connecting keeps dropping, IP address going to 169.

Hi.

I have been using ntl Hi-Speed Broadband internet ever since it was introduced. I am using a 3Com Cable Modem (recommended by NTL at the time) to connect to the broadband line, and my computer is connected to that via Ethernet using a crossover cable.

I have had pretty sporadic service from it over the last five or six years - when it works it is great, but sometimes it just stops working for no apparent reason.

Recently this has got worse, and over the last two weeks the connection to the internet keeps dropping multiple times a day. It often reconnects after a few minutes, or if I reset the modem, but I cannot figure out why this is happening or how I can fix it.

Usually, when everything is running fine, I get an IP address by the DHCP server in the range 81.x.x.x and things work great.

However I will be surfing normally when suddenly, everything grinds to a halt and no more data will be received. Usually, I go and check the network settings, which still show the 81.x.x.x IP address but after a few seconds this changes to a 169.x.x.x self assigned IP address.

After a few minutes, or if I force the modem to reset (switch off for 10 seconds, etc) the IP addresss will usually flip back to the same 81.x.x.x IP address as before.

I believe my internet settings are correct, and that NTL's service is to blame. Indeed some of their engineers have told me that the signal-to-noise ratio in my area is abnormally high, and this could be the cause of the problem.

HOWEVER yesterday an NTL tech support person told me that as I am getting a 169.x.x.x IP address when the problem occurs, this indicates the problem is with either my computer or modem, arguing that the 169 self assigned address appears because my computer cannot communicate with the modem (and that if it could, but NTL's service was down, I'd get a 192.x.x.x IP address).

I don't accept this, I think that when my computer is unable to communicate with NTL's DHCP server because of an NTL connection problem, the computer is reverting to a self-assigned IP address.

Who is right? I have never seen a 192.x.x.x address as I can recall, and I see loads of other people on here complaining about problems similar to my own, which makes me doubt that my modem or computer are causing intermittent internet connection problems.

Even though I get a 169.x.x.x IP address when these problems occur, could this be NTL's fault?

Thanks for your help. Lastly I am running a standard installation of Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, I know I'm a Mac-head but I think that the problems I'm having are not related to my OS but to the connection I'm getting from NTL.

OH and also they always have messages on their answerphone about problems in the GU14 area, well I'm in the GU15 area so wonder whether my difficulties could be related.

Thanks for your help

Floop
Floop1977 is offline   Reply With Quote