Thread: US Timeline Star Trek: Discovery
View Single Post
Old 22-01-2017, 15:01   #89
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

For maximum impact/minimum outlay, they could have more simply spun something off in the 24th century where TNG and DS9 storylines have all been left hanging (Voyager was pretty well finished I think).

I have had a trial subscription to Netflix for the past couple of weeks and I've been delighted to find the remastered TNG is on there. I've been re-watching all my favourite episodes and remembering just how good that show was, especially once it hit its stride. Basically what I'm trying to say is, Discovery has a very tough act to follow, as it attempts to bring back the franchise in the way TNG did. It will need focus, commitment and hard work. It's hard to see evidence of that right now.
I think it would have made things easier continuity wise as well. If you watch Enterprise then Star Trek (i.e. following the actual chronology), it actually looks like Starfleet's technology took a massive step backwards, because the special effects were so much better on Enterprise. I'm not even thinking of the exterior shots, the on set console displays were far better.

Discovery has a tough act to follow. They have a good consulting producer Nicholas Meyer (who directed The Wrath of Kahn and the Undiscovered Country and is one of two people credited with keeping the franchise alive after the relative failure of The Motion Picture). If he is still as good a writer as he was during those two films, and if he is directly involved, I think it will do well. It seems to have a good team behind it.

I think TNG was always going to be a difficult series to follow (although DS9 did a good job). Although it had some very bad episodes (the first half of season one and a lot of season 7 for instance), it had some of the best episodes I've seen in any TV series. I think one of the things I liked about TNG is that in some of the best stories, the actual setting was almost irrelevant, which meant that some of the best episodes almost weren't sci fi.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote