Thread: US Timeline Star Trek: Discovery
View Single Post
Old 21-01-2017, 09:51   #87
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
delayed again, this is not looking good:
They're trying to make out as if producing it for an on-demand service is an advantage, but it seems to me to be the opposite.

There is clearly no serious deadline, which is rarely a good idea in any project (unless you're inventing something totally new, and let's face it, they're not - the Trek universe is well understood, all they're doing is what every tv production company does every day of the week, devising characters and storylines to fit an established universe).

My bet is that CBS is hedging against the possibility that they won't get sufficient subscribers and has set a low budget, which would also tend to make things run more slowly.

For maximum impact/minimum outlay, they could have more simply spun something off in the 24th century where TNG and DS9 storylines have all been left hanging (Voyager was pretty well finished I think).

I have had a trial subscription to Netflix for the past couple of weeks and I've been delighted to find the remastered TNG is on there. I've been re-watching all my favourite episodes and remembering just how good that show was, especially once it hit its stride. Basically what I'm trying to say is, Discovery has a very tough act to follow, as it attempts to bring back the franchise in the way TNG did. It will need focus, commitment and hard work. It's hard to see evidence of that right now.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote