View Single Post
Old 30-12-2004, 23:33   #4
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Re: Do i need a router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron25
As long as you have got sygate set up correctly, then it will be very difficult for anyone or anything to get into your pc without you knowing about it. I have been running sygate for several years now and I always leave it on prompt so I know exactly what is coming in and going out and I have never been hacked. I now have a router, as I share my connection with several computers, and the router runs nat so I don't have to use sygate but I still leave sygate running so I know exactly what is communicating with my internet connection. Spending £30-40 on a router will give you better protection but I can't see the point in spending the money unless you want to also share your connection with other computers.
The reason that I got a router was because after I upgraded from windows me to xp, there were problems.

I found out that programs that I had blocked outgoing permissions, in fact were still outgoing. Zonealarm refused to work full stop. So I didn't trust them entirely even when I eventually fixed the problem.

If they're having problems with the firewall, getting a router might be a solution, as if you're paranoid, you may never get the trust back.

It's all down to cost.

Deadman_uk, have you tried sygate to see if they can help?
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote