View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 16:29   #754
oddfinger
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, 2 mb Broadband
oddfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Interesting post on VMHD blogspot:-

It's been an exciting November for us Virgin Media customers; the return of Sky basics, a decent last quarter, an important postponement in the debt burden for the company and some interesting presentations on the back of the results including some insights into the strategic direction the company's heading in.
Unfortunately the headlines today are all about the staff reduction to be completed by 2012 which means it's a very worrying outlook for many of the VM workforce - as someone who works in the media, I'm sorry to report that this news is not so unusual these days (my own company has just announced it is shedding 10% of positions stateside before the end of the year). Tough times.
Yesterday Berkett and the management team at Virgin made a very interesting presentation to NY investors. It's long, but well worth a read, especially as for the first time Virgin are announcing they're going to improve their HD offering. Almost 100 slides in all, but an interesting read - here's the URL for those who have the time, and here are some headlines relevant to HD (my emphasis in bold):

Strategic growth initiatives mean capex expected to be at top end of 13-15% guidance range
– Targeting 10Mb growth, intelligently expanding our network, strengthening TV, DPI, behavioural advertising, leveraging mobile

Levelling the linear content playing field versus Sky
– Possible regulatory intervention from Ofcom Market Investigation
– Economic wholesale access to premium
– Access to Premium HD
– Return of Sky Basics
– Largely funded through increase in VMtv licence payments
– Plan to add linear HD channels

Creating linear parity following the return of Sky basics
• Exploit our VOD superiority
• Grow penetration of our best-in-class DVR service
• Build our HD offering
• Enhance the TV interface
• Regulatory progress on premium offers significant opportunity
– Today less than 20% TV subs take premium at negative margin

Strengthen L and XL TV to improve mix and ARPU
– TV interface and infrastructure enhancement
– Differentiate TV service
– VOD advertising
– Expand content incl HD

Although they seem to be pinning some hope on Sky HD channels being made available after next year's OFCOM review conclusions on the pay TV market, they're promising to increase the linear HD offering - that's the first time I've seen that stated to investors - hurrah!
In addition there's a hint as to an upgrade to the EPG interface, which I've posted in the two posts below (sorry, a restriction of the blogging tool I use).
It's been a very quiet year on the HD front at Virgin, but this suggests that 2009 really will see some big improvements. Exciting times indeed...