View Single Post
Old 13-10-2008, 19:16   #7
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles
Re: Virgin Media Router Wireless Password Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMediaGuy12 View Post
unfortunately not.

I did what you said and connected to the netgear router on the ip address you suggested. I entered the passwords on the bottom of my router similar to the ones you suggested, but it only led to more screens asking for passwords which kept recycling. So I don't know what the problem is.

I have reset the router (using the reset button on the router), but my virgin media set up software is saying that i am trying to use a non virgin media device so i can't establish a new network.

So I'm a bit stuck.

Any ideas?
UNINSTALL ALL VIRGIN SOFTWARE

First you need to fully uninstall the software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .

Next ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 10 seconds then switch off the router and modem,reinsert the disk and follow the instructions to the letter.

Ensure that you actually have the wireless switched on on your computer, do not assume it is on, the should be a switch.

-----------------------------------------------

Quick router set up

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

------------------------------------------------------------
YOU CAN ALSO TRY THIS WAY AFTER REMOVING THE SOFTWARE AS ABOVE

------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't need the cd to set up VM routers, nor do you need a temporary cable connection.

1. Connect to wireless network. The network will be called "Virgin Broadband" the passphrase (WPA key) is preinstall.

2. Open a web browser. You will be presented with a setup page. Enter a new network name and password, ignore everything else, click apply. You will be prompted for a username and password - ignore it and close the browser.

3. Connect to the wireless network using you new network name and passphrase.

4. Happy surfing.

It is actually quicker than running the cd.