Thread: Superhub GPS via Wi-Fi?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 14:44   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: GPS via Wi-Fi?

See to me there's a key difference. 'Film' was generic to begin with, referring to an entire class of technology, not one specific type of film. 'GPS' refers to one specific constellation of positioning satellites operated by one specific entity - the US government.

Since 'Film' refers to a technology in general, not a specific instance of it, the real equivalent would be 'watching a Kodak 7248 EXR 100T' or 'going to see a Technicolor process 4'

The equivalent usage of 'film' as a generic technology with regard to location would be 'satellite positioning' not 'GPS'. Kodachrome, Technicolor, Polaroid, are all types of film. GLONASS, Galileo, and GPS are all types of satellite positioning system. They are not all types of 'GPS' just like 35mm, medium format, and Super 8 are not all types of 'Polaroid'. If/when some authoritative English dictionary redefines the term as such, I'll put up and shut up, until then, it's just plain wrong.

And yes it bugs me just as much when someone refers to any type of portable music player as an 'iPod'.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote