View Single Post
Old 23-08-2016, 15:53   #1
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Sky Q ....likes and dislikes

Thought i would start a thread about the functionality or lack thereof of Sky's new flagship service Q

I like the look ,it looks modern and smooth more graphic than the text ridden Sky+.

I like the functionality of the mini box when compared to the old multiroom box.

I like not having a cable for each box going through the walls

I like not having to connect an Ethernet cable to receive on demand .

Picture quality is fantastic even on a mid range panasonic tv like mine

I like the new router ,it seems much faster and as yet have no problems with connectivity considering everything is now wifi (tv,sky Q connections, NAS ,phones ,2 laptops and 2 computers)

I like the sideways scrolling of the menu ,very fast and smooth

Dislikes

The new menu layout is inefficient it is full of unnecessary actions to get to different parts of the menu ,example ,it now takes 4 button pushes/swipes to get to categories in the tv guide

The Q silver box can fry eggs it gets that hot

As a premium product there is a lot missing that we had with the old Sky+ ,things like reminders,favourites and many, many more functions

There is no stop button on the remote ,if you let the recording go to the end on it's own it does not stop it pauses which means that the Q box thinks you are still watching it and won't let you delete it .The only solution i have found is to rewind a little ,use the 'dismiss' button to exit the recording and then delete (more unnecessary button pushes)

Why didn't Sky make the remotes with rechargeable batteries all this extra button pushing and swiping is going to tear through batteries.

'TV guide' button has been removed and replaced with a 'home' button,the first page in the menu is some obscure listing called 'top picks' ,this consists of stuff sky want you to watch not the stuff i want to watch ,the actual tv guide is buried 3 pages away from the home screen

There are no on screen hints .The Sky+ menu would tell what coloured button to press for +/- 24hrs ,favourites etc ,now you have to watch a help video to find out how to do stuff that was intuitive in sky+

Why does the Sky button on the remote go to recordings and not the tv guide or even better given that it is supposed to be a premium product why not make it user configurable so i can choose what the button does .

Conclusion

Overall i like it and it has huge potential to be awesome, but it is needing a lot more work to make it the flagship product Sky are selling it as .I understand that Sky+ did not start out as it is now it took quite a few years to get to where it is now but quite honestly that should have been the starting point for Q ,instead quite a lot of the functionality has been removed and as it stands it is a backward step .