View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 13:46   #62
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: New high speed rail link ...is it worth it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
This isn't chucking money anyway, we'll get some of it back, mostly indirectly if it succeeds in improving the prospects for businesses.
No its not chucking money away. I don't think I've said or implied that. I'm merely making the point that at this time the financial implications of this have to be very carefully considered and IMHO they don't add up and there isn't any prospect of a financial surplus to plunder. We all know massive cuts are coming and the electorate won't much like vast sums of money being allocated to this over the years if other budgets are suffering at the same time. If things go wrong I fear we'll wind up with the railway equivalent of funding crisis hit PFI hospitals - great facilities which are rapidly becoming too expensive to run. If we'd won the 2016 or 2020 Olympics instead of 2012, I think the same would be being said about those now such tough financial choices are having to be made.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote