Thread: 150M Hourly disconnects
View Single Post
Old 25-10-2017, 15:22   #2
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Hourly disconnects

Quote:
Originally Posted by synner View Post
Hi all,

Looking for some advice really... Bit of a long story..

Was on 100Mb with a SH2AC, everything running along fine. Upgraded the TV to a V6 and still running fine for several weeks.

Then started getting disconnects where the internet light would go red for 30 seconds or so. This was happening pretty much hourly. I have a thinkbroadband monitor in place which was showing packet loss every hour on the hour. Tracked this down (thanks to some help on the VM Forum) to an hourly DHCP lease.

This became a problem for streaming etc, especially with 2 kids in the house!

Called VM and got a technician out who swapped the SH2AC for a Hub 3.

After he left and I finally got into the web management on the Hub 3 (man it's slow on the interface !) and saw that I was still getting hourly DHCP renews despite the change in equipment and IP address.

The Hub 3 seems to handle things better in that I don't get a total drop in service every hour but it's one of those things that really bug me and I'd like it fixed. This is where the problems kick in...

I have called 150 several times, getting India each time, and been talked through rebooting the hub (and told that if I can get to bbc.co.uk after it's working fine) and also told that my wifi may be poor (!).

I have a thread on the official forum ( http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...541763#M175100 ) which VM have roundly ignored for 3 weeks now and just don't know what to do to get this resolved.

Hoping one of you guys may have some advice....?

Thanks

Bri
I feel you've put 2+2 together and got 5 a little bit. Those hourly DHCP renewals aren't anything to worry about and over time they'll get longer. As long as your IP isn't changing every hour, a DHCP renewal won't cause a drop in connection - it's an entirely normal thing and all of your devices will be doing the same, not just your hub.

I suspect the hourly renewal previously was a result of a separate issue, a symptom rather than a cause. If your connection is stable and good now, then don't worry about it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote