View Single Post
Old 23-07-2017, 20:39   #20
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Charlie Gard: Death threats sent to Great Ormond Street staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I guess a lot of Doctors would say the same. I.E There are limits to what medicine can do.

I think the critical difference here is that this is ending life support. People can't chose intervention to end to their lives but they can chose to stop receiving treatment other than palliative care.
Palliative care isn't pain or suffering free though. We had the pleasure of my perfectly lucid father gradually fading away over a period of a couple of weeks when nobody wanted that, least of all him. They're arguing that the little lad might be in pain. They say 'might' be because they don't actually know for sure. IMHO if he is in pain and if he was able to articulate his feelings he'd accept the pain and discomfort for a chance of life and to be with his loved ones just like so many, for example, young cancer suffers do. How many of them just give up? The vast majority fight and endure sometimes years of pain, discomfort, investigations and treatment just to cling onto life. Why would he be any different? There's no doubt in my mind that he should be given that chance albeit a very slim one it seems. It's really is the most awful situation and the parents need to be allowed to play their last card for their little lad.

Getting back to the OP, there are plenty of people I detest but I wouldn't threaten them or wish them dead. Whether or not those who issue these 'death threats' really mean it is doubtful in the vast majority of cases but it does say something very sad about them.

Last edited by Osem; 23-07-2017 at 20:48.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote