View Single Post
Old 24-03-2005, 11:16   #10
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: EXPLODING lightbulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Best way to change is to switch off the ring main at the junction box and use pliars.

I think they explode, when oxygen builds up in the bulb. The bulb is supposed to be vacuum sealed with the filament inside. The filament is a piece of metal that glows white hot when you run current through it.When a bulb goesit is because the filament has become so weak, the surge of current has broken it. When a filament breaks, the electricity tries to arc between the two closest broken points, which produces sparks (and those lines you see on TV ) A spark needs oxygen to cause an explosion, but in a vacuum seal bulb, there is none. In a cheap bulb, there might be if it isn't sealed proper, so it could explode a little.

Thats what I thinks happening anyway.
Thanks for that

p.s. I just removed one of these from my boy's room and replaced it with an energy saving bulb - just in case.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote