View Single Post
Old 15-02-2012, 12:08   #58
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
This thing about expensive sky repairs is nonsense. Let say a TiVo user and Sky+HD user both get boxes today.

Lets assume both get the current free fitting ect deal. So in the first 12 months the Sky box is covered free of charge by Sky, the TiVo box belongs to VM so thats also coverd.

In the first year the TiVo user has paid £36 in TiVo fee's the Sky user has not paid any fee's for his Sky box. So now lets "assume" the Sky box goes faulty in the second year an so does the TiVo.

VM will repair replace the TiVo free, Sky will charge £60 call out and repair replace DISH CABLING AND BOX if requested as that's a full service call. The new Sky box is now covered for another 12 months.

So over the next 12 months the TiVo user still pays £36 a year the Sky user pays zero. After 24 months both have had replaced boxes, the Sky user has paid a total of £60 the TiVo user has paid £72.

If the Sky box doesn't break the Sky user has paid £0 in 24 months, the TiVo user has paid £72 or £120 if on the £5 per month fee.
Fair point. Although Sky do try to talk you into a warranty after the first year. And if the box needs replacing, it costs over £200.

My Sky+ HD box needed replacing within the first year, but if it had been just outside that first year, then because I refused the warranty, it would have cost me a fortune.

Also with my package I saved around £70 per month changing my TV to SKY.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote