View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 19:42   #2362
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
I just can't get my head round it. Because peoples say here, they got 152Mb with 8 downstream on the superhub, while other still got 6 downstream on the superhub but both still same max out speed 160Mb?

What's so special about downstream 6 or 8 on the hub?
My response is less grim. It's not very technical either.

My understanding is that those areas that have been re-segmented to alleviate congestion have mostly modems on 8 channels DS rather than 6. You can deliver 152Mb or more in areas that haven't been re-segmented, but users would be more susceptible to the effects of congestion. They will achieve 160Mb in tests at times when their local cabinet or node isn't being heavily used, e.g. just for surfing. There will be times when they are more likely to get less than 152Mb than those on 8 channels.

Somebody add to this or put me right if needs be.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote