View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 22:21   #49
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media will launch a new set-top box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
So will this mean that we will not have the need for a TiVo? will we just be issued with a smaller device to access "the cloud"?
Perhaps, or perhaps not. I'm wavering on this. This is what I said on the DS forums:

I guess it could go a few different ways in regards to new hardware:

1. A full blown SkyQ type 4k, recorder box with large hard drive costing a lot of dosh to customers, (perhaps not VM). I think this is the least likely option.

2. As above, but like Sky, VM offer mini boxes for other rooms. So perhaps you pay for the "big box" and VM throw in the mini boxes.

3. No recordable box at all. All recording done in the cloud. VM offer mini boxes as an interface between the Superhub 3 and your tvs.

4. No boxes at all. VM release a Fire TVish USB stick instead.

What is clear from the webcast is that the cloud will be central to the new 4k service. How central is yet to be determined.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I guess so. If content is in the cloud, I guess an Amazon Fire TV type box would do the job?

There are good and aspects of cloud versus hard disc PVR/streaming service boxes IMHO. It all depends on the rules that are set around the cloud content (e.g. length of time available).
I am eagerly awaiting to see how VM got round the copyright issues of holding recordings in the cloud too, unless of course they're not really recordings...

When we all last spoke about copyright and cloud related issues, I suggested back then that what VM might do is pull a sneaky and not really offer PVR cloud recording options at all. Rather, it would just be their current VOD/streaming services "repackaged" as being your own personal recordings.

But that's my suspicious mind at work, I'm sure VM would not be dishonest.