View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 02:21   #37
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media will launch a new set-top box

.... from the webcast, Mike Fries says this: "EOS is the project name for our cloud based set top box that we're going to be trialing later this year. It's going to be faster, cheaper and provide more functionality than today's Horizon box".

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Interesting find, particularly as Tivo is not mentioned on the 2016 Product Roadmap. Though of course this could mean it's in the 2017 Roadmap.
I'm still listening to the webcast, but my guess is now is that we won't get the Horizon box. They'll stick with tivo in the UK until they're ready to go down the cloud based route, then its goodbye stbs, well almost. They'll still need some sort of mini boxes for customers to connect to the cloud service.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 01:21 ---------- Previous post was 10-05-2016 at 23:59 ----------

Just to copy my post from the other thread here too as its relevant:

That's the million dollar question, which, I think Liberty/VM has answered at the end of the webcast. EVERYONE should listen to it. I'll state the facts, then give my opinion.

Facts:

Tom Mockbridge, VM boss says this, "we are committed to the 2nd half of this year to deploy EOS in the United Kingdom. We'll put some tivo software on it, that'll give us a lot more functionality for our customers."

"We're very confident that with the tv launch/relaunch that we have coming through this year, that we'll remain very competitive with Sky."

"So far we've seen very little impact from the Sky Q which is of course a very expensive decoder and we're very focussed on improving the offer we have there and EOS is going to be a big part of that."

And to finish the webcast, another Liberty exec says, "...this new box is going to be a 4k box, a pretty high powered box that will get a refreshed tivo UI on it later this year. And then in following years our goal is to get Horizon across all of Europe and the EOS box, this new 4k box is going to be the engine for next generation for video for Liberty."

Opinion:

Mike Fries said at the beginning of the webcast that EOS is a project name for a cloud based set top box. At the end of the webcast, Tom Mockbridge states that SkyQ is a expensive decoder.

VM will NOT launch a new physical 4k box, it'll be cloud based!!