View Single Post
Old 21-01-2015, 10:04   #28
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I'd be very surprised if the DVD sales of Ashes to Ashes went into the BBC's coffers rather than Murdoch who is the owner of the show. The BBC may well have put up the dosh to commission it and show it on their channel initially, but they do not own it and are not the distributor. They pay for first run rights and that's it.

Regarding new shows like the next Lost, excuse the pun here, but I think you're thinking linear here.

Imagine a sci-fi portal with hundreds of millions of subscribers/viewers. They could easily fund big budget shows. Say if the site was charging a fee similar to Netflix, the site might directly fund shows if there was enough votes cast. I think the funding could come come via several different methods, but I'd imagine the old billionaire codgers who run the big media companies/studios will still be in control for some time yet.

Edit: Just had a look who does deal with the DVDs for Ashes to Ashes and its neither the BBC or Murdoch, but a company called Entertainment One whom I've never heard of until now.
Entertainment One has DVD distribution expertise that neither BBC Worldwide nor Kudos can presumably be bothered to develop in-house.

You really are understating the BBC's role in the production of a show like Ashes. At the time of commissioning, the show's success is not guaranteed. The first-run broadcaster is taking an immense financial gamble and will seek to offset that by securing as many income streams from it as possible (even at the BBC, where these days they are expected to show they're getting value for the licence fee). In return for its investment, the broadcaster is getting repeat rights and, I guarantee you, a cut of DVD sales. The prominent "as seen on the BBC" flash (including logo) on the front of even the most recent re-issue of the Ashes box set is the giveaway.

Your sci fi portal idea does indeed require imagination. It really is a fantasy. There is simply no way such an organisation could raise the kind of funds required, nor could it provide the kind of executive oversight required to keep production on time and on schedule. Individuals with that sort of expertise are not cheap.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote