View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 04:03   #20
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold
Re: Frustrating virgin media internet cut outs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4g3d View Post
Even if they did exist, asking the indian call centre to send one wouldn't work. Pretty sure of it.
Indeed. Asking them if the sky is blue would probably result in a request for access to your hub to "tweak" your wifi settings.

---------- Post added at 01:49 ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Senior techs do not exist, they were all demoted to just "tech"
Well it has been over 3 years since I had a PT, or even a tech for my residential broadband. So I may be a little out of date on the job titles.

---------- Post added at 02:13 ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 ----------

Quote:
Yellow brick, splitter, tv box, coax cabling all removed. Only coax going directly into superhub right now.

DOWNSTREAM:
Power Level (dBmV) -1.25 -1.77 -1.44 -0.88 -0.93 -1.30 -1.34 -1.72
RxMER (dB) 36.39 36.17 36.17 36.39 36.84 36.84 36.39 36.39

UPSTREAM:
Power Level (dBmV) 45.50 N/A N/A 44.50
The above levels look good. Smack in the middle of the range for both downstream and upstream. Which is where you want them.

Quote:
Just yellow brick removed:

DOWNSTREAM:
Power Level (dBmV) -5.24 -5.82 -5.34 -4.90 -4.82 -5.02 -5.17 -5.32
RxMER (dB) 35.42 34.77 35.08 35.42 35.97 35.78 35.60 35.42

UPSTREAM:
Power Level (dBmV) 49.00 N/A N/A 48.00
Looks worse than the first set, with downstream power that is borderline and lower SNR.

Downstream will be 3 dBmV lower because of the splitter.

It's worse to have low downstream power than high downstream power. So I personally wouldn't want my downstream at those levels, even though theoretically it's just about in spec. You're inviting lots of post-rs errors.

You just need the tap changed at the cabinet to get the downstream higher.

Quote:
EVERYTHING connected up again:

DOWNSTREAM:
Power Level (dBmV) 9.89 9.80 9.55 10.15 9.81 9.44 9.79 9.12
RxMER (dB) 35.97 36.39 35.97 36.17 36.39 36.39 36.17 35.97

UPSTREAM:
Power Level (dBmV) 49.00 N/A N/A 48.00
You're just pushing up the downstream power with the yellow brick, but not affecting the upstream. Which is the opposite of what you want. The yellow brick has to go!

Quote:
I was advised to get this yellow brick from a few people, without the yellow brick the power levels did fall to -9dbmv at times. Which i thought was the reason for the disconnections. The disconnections was happening almost every day till i bought and fitted the yellow brick. Now it happens every now and again (once or twice per week tops). So the figures above all seem OK do they not?. This is what happens when a engineer comes out, they find no fault.
No. What probably happened was that some engineer made a change in the network which caused your downstream power to drop, or maybe there was/is a temporary/intermittent fault.

Your old set top box could be the problem. If it's babbling noise.

It's also possible a tech just swapped your tap at the cabinet so he could connect a new neighbour up.

Instead of getting the problem fixed the normal way you've made things worse.

---------- Post added at 02:30 ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 ----------

p.s. Looking back at your original low SNR values around 32/33 dB...

Make sure all coax connections are tight with a plastic spanner. Finger tight may not be good enough. It's possible to cause your own SNR fault if not. Which can happen intermittently.

---------- Post added at 04:03 ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 ----------

Quote:
This is what happens when a engineer comes out, they find no fault.
3 years ago it took me 2 additional tech's after the installer (who left the levels out of spec) to get my levels right. The second tech was very friendly and knew what he was doing. It was no issue for him to change the tap. Just explain the situation that you get low downstream power levels sometimes and drop outs and would he mind..

JB will no doubt cringe at such advice.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote