View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 13:23   #88
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
That's my point. You had to pre plan your selection, and even then you had to make a conscious decision to watch Damages. I'm talking about just hopping through the channels, seeing if something catches my eye and looks interesting. No conscious decision involved. I've discovered many programmes that I've gone on to absolutely love just by channel hopping. It's very shallow of me to say this, but I discovered Buffy The Vampire Slayer because I was channel hopping, and saw Sarah Michelle Gellar and thought "Wow, she looks pretty". It's likely I would not have discovered it had I relied on a text description such as those provided by Netflix.

(4K) is unlikely to happen soon. Not because the consumer will resist it (although there are signs consumers are starting to resist new technologies - look at how 3D fared), but the programme makers might slow it down. They are *starting* to upgrade to 4k cameras, but may still want several years more use out of the editing suites and other infrastructure they have that is limited to 2k.
Hi, Stuart, I've scissored your reply to concentrate on the main points that I wanted to make on this.

I think you may be reading more into my 'selection' than actually was the case. It was a few months ago when I went through part of the Netflix library and added the programmes I thought were worth watching to 'My List'. I don't do it on a regular basis, but it only took me a short time (about 20 minutes from memory).

That list remains on the system each time you access it, so by going to 'My Lists', all the selected programmes are on there. All you have to do is choose one - I had no idea I was going to watch 'Damages' until I saw it on there.

Although there is a little time delay getting into Netflix, once you are in, this process takes just seconds and I would be willing to bet that I can find something worth watching long before you do when 'channel hopping' (unless you are easily pleased!). I have found that method of selecting programmes extremely frustrating and even if I find something worthwhile, I find myself in the middle of the programme or a series that I hadn't watched before. A most inefficient means of finding a programme that you want to see, IMHO.

My comment about 4K was just meant to remind everyone that a change in technology can generate major change that we have little control over. Obviously a change to HD only is more likely than 4K in the foreseeable future, but who knows what may prompt a change in the present system?

I understand completely that some of you on the Forum are comfortable with what you have now, but many of us want more. It's not my decision whether they actually withdraw the current system; all I am saying is that it is unlikely to last forever.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote