View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50   #79
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
To be fair, 3.3 million is a pretty large number and 1/3rd is a decent sized fraction.
It is, and the point is, it's growing rapidly.

It would be wrong to assume that the figures are going to remain much as they are now over the coming years. I think there will be a sudden surge at some point, and as technology improves.

At present, Freeview only viewers need a Freeview box to access on demand for example. What will happen when most people have a TV that allows this - and indeed video streaming?

Big changes are on the way, IMHO.

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This Horowitz Research report agrees with you and suggests that the exodus from linear to OTT/SVOD television is somewhat exaggerated:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201502063...#axzz3QxdUTb7P
The problem with this is that the report concentrates on what is happening now - not in 10 years' time.

The logic of the flow of this report is clear in this sentence:

'Perhaps one of the most stand-out stats was that the overwhelming majority of multiplatform viewers who have both a multichannel service and OTT SVOD services are not ready to give up easy access to broadcast programming, even when presented with the option of adding standalone, à la carte SVOD services like the new services offered by HBO, Showtime and CBS.'

I'm not sure what that proves, because I too would not want to give up broadcast services at this stage. Where would I access the News for example? However, in the future, all of this will be sorted and would no longer be a problem.

Look at how recently 3D came to TV sets, and enthusiasm came and went. Things are moving fast, and once people get a taste for access to what they want, when they want it, the move towards VOD and streaming services will be unstoppable.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote