View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 10:33   #77
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Yep, my mistake. The original figure I found said 9m had watched EE, so saying about a third would be right, then I found the 11m figure and forgot to alter the one third statement, which is, of course, now incorrect.
At a guess, the 9m figure would be the overnight, available the day after transmission. The final consolidated figure adds those who time-shifted their viewing by watching within, IIRC, 7 days of transmission. Crucially, BARB's timeshift figures don't count iPlayer downloads. Certainly, they don't count those direct from the BBC via the interwebs. Not sure what the status is with VM, with it being to some degree integrated with the STB.

iPlayer stats really are an enigma. If the BBC has devised some formula for determining what proportion of them are unique views which should be added to the BARB figures, they've not said so. Actually it would be nigh-on impossible for them to arrive at accurate figures simply based on downloads, as they have no way of knowing how many people are viewing the download at the other end of the connection. Only BARB's somewhat intrusive audience monitoring hardware can do that.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote