View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 10:25   #238
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What have you fixed lately?

I've finally sorted the very annoying engine rattle/top end noise on my Rover 45.

Ever since I changed the head gasket last year the top end had got a bit noisy, and was slowly getting worse. I'd tried to use a stethoscope to isolate which tappet was noisy but I simply couldn't. The only other issue was that on overrun, the radio would start lightly crackling, so I decided to give the coils and HT leads a good clean.

In the end I also removed the spark plugs, and found them to be oddly loose (not overly, but not exactly tight either). So I nipped them up, along with a few of the 8mm bolts holding the rocker cover down. Once I started the engine the difference was remarkable. The tapping noise was gone, and I can only assume it was down to a loose plug "chuffing" when the engine warmed up.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote