View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 22:50   #163
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: [MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post

But marriage can't be claimed by one religion. What about Buddhists, Hindus and Sikhs. Are their marriages not marriages, or are they hypocrites for performing a Christian ritual.
No it can't and isn't .each one has it's own ritual/ceremony which carries it's own meaning but all have one thing in common ,a union between man and woman .

Hardly think a Sikh would perform a Christian ceremony anyway

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Yes. The Church is not the authoritative voice on what we, as a society, choose to allow. I don't see any reason why their beliefs should be imposed upon everyone, marriage has transcended them alone and we now have civil marriages and people from other faiths who marry. Marriage is for everyone. Their ownership of the term can no longer apply when atheists or people from other faiths can get married without any religious ceremony. Marriage is a state institution as well as a religious one.

However we equally don't want the state telling religious people what to do or what they should believe so as long as it doesn't harm anyone they should be free to do and say as they wish. They can refuse to conduct the ceremonies, they can instruct their clergy that true marriage in the eyes of god is between a man and a woman.

What they cannot do is prevent two gay men or women who don't practise their, or any, religion from having their marriage recognised by the state. Their input into that is the same as everyone else, via the ballot box.
I think we will have agree to disagree on this one .My idea of marriage is between man and woman in the eyes of (insert deity) and is the reason why i am not married ,not an atheist but not a christian ....bit of an inbetweenie me