View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 20:38   #1
Hoffmeister
Inactive

Hoffmeister is an unknown quantity at this point
Not very impressive fault statusing

Hi - I'm in Waterlooville area (Hampshire) and came home this evening to find no phone service - no dial tone and all I can hear is my own echo. Cable TV and internet are OK. Dialling in I just got Call Failed.

Pretty much every Virginmedia general status page has 'Internal Server Error' or other page unobtainable report - handy!

On nth time of calling the 'sorry, busy, call back later, goodbye' 0845 454 1111 status number from mobile (which doesn't work well round here in this poor signal area, perhaps I should get a landline - oh....) , finally got through to hear that there's apparently a known fault due to be fixed by 8pm.

I'd pretty much given up on getting through to any phone line so used the time constructively to join CableForum and see if it was being mentioned here - hi everyone! But is this usual? - a fault on one VM service raises the number of hits to the website service status pages and calls to the automated phone lines to such an extent that the fault information system collapses?

Thinking positive, I always remember that it could be worse - it was once NTL!

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Ah, FINALLY got through on website service status page.... select 'Cable Customers' .... select 'Telephone'..... select 'South Coast'.... 'There are currently no issues'. Well that's alright then, the recorded phone announcement was evidently telling porkies.

Phone still doesn't work though!

Have concluded that the fault status system is at its best when there are no faults to status.
Hoffmeister is offline   Reply With Quote