Thread: New PC
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 00:35   #12
G UK
cf.addict

Services: TIVO, XL TV, XL BB, M Phone
G UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of Quads
Re: New PC

Quote:
ok, 1st don't bother with i7 unless you are going to be doing alot of graphic/video editing, its not that good for gaming. go for a top end quad core. i5 is going to be a cut back version of the i7 ( a bit like a celeron was to a pentium)
No point upgrading then. Care to link to where it says i7 is not as good as a top end core2quad, from what I read its rather a step change?

Thats what I understood of the i5 but thats not what I am after.

Quote:
2nd don't bother with an sli setup, go for a single card solution that is towards the higher end of the market (it will give a performance just below or equal to the gtx260 sli setup), also sli can cause problems in some games. Also this will free up some extra cash for the motherboard ( or see if you can reuse your old motherboard, might need a bios flash though)
I've been running SLI with no problems for 3 years so I know what I'm going for there. What would you recommend for a single card? With the prices of 280 and 290 GT's, it seems to make sense to go with a pair of 260 blacks.

I dont know much about ATI's but as Zing suggested one I may have to brush up on them.

Quote:
DON't touch EZcool psu's with someone elses 10 foot barge pole, they are about as good as what you use andrex toilet tissue for. go for something like a corsair. what you need to look for in a psu is what it can handle on the 12v rail(s), the corsiar TX650 can handle 25 amps on it single 12v rail. single rail psu's are more stable but multi rail psu's can usually provide mor ampage. ezcool psu's have a poor 12v rail ampage
Noted, you're not the first to mention this so I'll look at other PSU's, thanks.

Quote:
optical drive- do you really need a blu-ray reader? do you have a stand alone blu-ray reader? if so just go for a dvdrw for now (cheaper and blu-ray burners will coe down in price in the future)
I'm not interested in Blue-ray burners and this will be my first and only Blue-ray player. As the computer is connected to my TV I can use it as my Blue-ray player.

Quote:
operating system. Do you already have a retail o/s? (xp/vista) if so you don't really need windows7 as xp can do all the important stuff that vista/windows7 can, it just doesn't have the fancy interface. windows7 is what vista was ment to be on release, if you have all the latest patches/service packs you should be ok.
Yes, I have 32 bit Vista which has caused no problems on my current rig, I have never understood all the poo poo'ing it has recieved, as long as you have 2GB of RAM it runs perfectly but all that is useless on my new machine as I require 64bit. XP64 is not an option as not only is it a generation behind but it was never upto scratch.

---------- Post added at 00:35 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Zing,
How does this sound as you're worrying about heat across the SLI set-up, I'm still not sure what else I am looking at in a case other than airflow?

2x 180mm blowing across the cards
2x 120mm Fans, 1xFront and 1xRear
2x 80mm Top Exhaust
Quick Release bays all round

Around the same price as the Lian Li's but appears to have more cooling (both intake and exhaust)
G UK is offline   Reply With Quote