View Single Post
Old 24-03-2011, 11:56   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Weird Hotmail sign in/out problem

Hi, I sign into my hotmail accounts via the 'mail' button on the Windows Live toolbar. Today, out of the blue, when I tried to check my email, I clicked on this button, a new window opened as usual but it remained blank and a warning appeared at the top about blocking content with security certificate errors. In order to proceed I had to click on 'options' and then on 'display blocked content'. When I did this the Windows Live Hotmail page opened normally and my 4 e.mail account sign in boxes were displayed as usual. All but one of these are set so that I don't need to enter the password but just click on the 'sign in' button. When I did this, however, I got a message telling me the "password or e.mail address is wrong" so I had to manually enter the password and then the account opened to show my inbox with the blocked content warning message still displayed across the top of the window. When I tried to sign out in the normal way (by clicking on the sign out button on the top right hand side of the window) the window closed but I then got an alert box opening up telling me the sign out could not be completed because my browser (IE8) is blocking cookies. It says to close all windows and check the browser's settings.

This problem has been happening each time I've tried to access any of the accounts and, despite re-entering the passwords and having the 'remember password' box ticked each time, my passwords are not being remembered so I have to enter them manually every time I try to access any of the accounts.

I've no idea how to correct this problem or why it's being caused although I did get some sort of minor AV (Avast Home Edition 4.7) update earlier so guess that could have something to do with it. I don't tend to sit there watching the PC as it boots up (takes quite a while) and don't recall seeing any other signs of any updating other than a flash player update which I declined for now. I've no idea why IE8 suddenly appears to be blocking these cookies and causing the sign out problem or whether that's related to the sign in issues. A couple of times when signing out I got an on screen message advising me to delete my cookies which I did and made no difference. I did notice, however, that there was a box marked 'preserve favourite website data' which was ticked. I don't recall being asked to select 'favourite websites' and wouldn't know how to so I'm not sure if that's relevant to this problem.

Anyone got any ideas how to sort this out please?

TVM as always.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote