View Single Post
Old 15-10-2016, 20:57   #25
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Project Lightning Silence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitherz87 View Post
I agree if competition finds out project lightning area's they will blanket the area with sales, this is a known fact and is why very little information is added.

BT is a different ball game as most upgrade area's for them they either already provide a service or there is no cable so all other companies will use the OpenReach network. A win win either way for BT.
So what's stopping them from doing that when the streetworks hit the register?

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
They will dig the streets and put the network in at a later date, this might be due to delays elsewhere but at least the construction is done, better it done than having contractors waiting around

The problem occurs when your competitors know your intentions and then blanket the area with discount tying customers in for 1-5yrs so your brand new network will sit there with little income due to the potential customers being tied into long contracts. So your network will not make money, seems sensible to me regardless of how good the product is.
I'm pretty sure the longest period anyone can be contracted is 3 years if you're a business. I'm not aware of any contracts over 18 months for consumers for right now, at least from the major players.

Surely when they dig the streets the competition will notice and 'blanket the area with discount' so doing the civils well in advance is a damn stupid thing to do?

Can't have it both ways. Either you keep it quiet until the last minute or you do the civils well in advance. I'd hope you see how these contradict each other if it's that big of a deal giving competitors a heads up. There's always going to be something for contractors to do and most local authorities will permit early starts if it's part of a larger programme.

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Just thinking some more are you guys aware that when an area is planned the customers who've signed up on Cable My Street get an email indicating it's on the way? There are roads here that won't be built out to for years that have had that email as the planning has been done. Not exactly the actions of a business obsessing over secrecy.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote