Thread: Nuisance calls
View Single Post
Old 29-10-2010, 16:39   #1
Ouch
Inactive

Ouch is on a distinguished roadOuch is on a distinguished road
Nuisance calls

I've been with NTL/VM for close to 10 years now, and we always had the same fixed phone number up until about 6 months ago when the number of nuisance calls started to get ridiculous. We were registered with the TPS but still got 10+ calls per week from various numbers, most of them overseas.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I phoned up VM and asked them if I could change our number. He was very helpful and agreed to do so and all worked well...to start with...

About 2 weeks later, we started getting calls from 08000728412. One every morning before 9am, one around lunchtime and one early evening. This carried on for three weeks. Every time I picked up the phone I got silence or an automated machine asking Miss Layla Middleton to call a number.

Finally I got a human on the other end of the phone and explained that noone of that name lives here. He apologised and told me he would make a note and we would no longer be called.

"Good!" I thought, until the next morning at 8.45 when it started again.

This has continued for months. 99% percent of the time automated or silence, and the odd human that promises to amend their database.

The number belongs to an agency that collects debts for several catalogue companies. It is UK based and uses an autodialer if the silent calls are anything to go by.

VM obviously gave me a number that used to belong to Miss Middleton and the catalogue campany have this one on record.

My question is...do I have to change my phone number again (insisting on a brand new number) and go through the hassle of informing everyone again or can VM block this number for me?

Would appreciate advice on this from someone who knows how VM deal with this kind of thing.

Cheers, Andy
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote