View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 22:38   #2
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Services: VIVID200 Gamer, Mix TV with V6 TiVo
duncan.stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Father loses Supreme Court case over term-time holidays

I have fairly little sympathy. Growing up we didn't have a lot of money, but we still had some lovely memorable holidays staying with family down south. Yes, I was jealous of my friends going to Disney World every year, but we couldn't afford it.

I wonder if different councils could stagger school holidays so not all kids were off at the same time. This would certainly lower the impact of the price surge, and could also help parents with annual leave if not everyone is off at the same time. In Scotland we have a bit of this benefit as our Summer holidays don't line up with the English holidays, so there are a few weeks which are cheaper than the rest of Summer.

I feel sorry for the stretched teaching staff who, in addition to the everyday issues of large class sizes, cuts to support for children with additional needs, and paying out of pocket for classroom essentials, also find they have to help children 1:1 who have been taken out of school and missed some classwork. It can't be easy for them.
duncan.stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote