View Single Post
Old 21-10-2009, 23:39   #14
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads
Re: Does this motherboard exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
if you are going to go for a socket 1366 core i7 board stay clear of the gigabyte ex58 extreme.
while it looks nice and has a ps/2 port for both keyboard and mouse and is aimed at overclockers etc, it was the worst mistake i made when i went to a core i7 pc.

it doesn't overclock well although i have managed to get my cpu to 4.0ghz, but for some reason it won't remain prime stable but i can do everything else, on it like video converting and gaming etc so not bothered about that, the main problem for me is the temps that the northbridge and southbridge get to and also the sound is really bad.

i would look at asus or dfi or even msi boards depending on how much you want to spend.

as far as i know the only difference between the 1366 core i7 and 1156 core i5/7 is that they use, dual channel ddr3 where as the 1366 uses triple channel but im sure there is more to it than that but not to sure.
Well i7 (x58) is more of an Enthusiast line-up, unfortunately a lot less tech savvy people have got on the band wagon and all you see these days is "how do i do this, how do i do that" while they're trying to gloat about their "enthusiast" setup l ooking like a ponse... doesn't seem to be as exclusive as it used to be.

The difference between that and i5 is the memory bandwidth due to only having a dual channel memory controller. Also there is no HT on i5 processors.

The difference between Core i5 and Core i7 will be somewhat dependent on which particular Core i7 one is comparing Core i5 to.

i5 is more budget friendly, although for a mid range P55 you can get an entry level X58... im looking at it as an enthusiast though because id have no problems splurging the extra £100 for an i7 CPU, but i5 caters to those who wouldn't.

i5 is as good as i7 in most apps that use two or four threads, but as soon as a heavily threaded app is loaded, or you're transcoding or rendering in 3D, then i7 will blow it for dust.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote