View Single Post
Old 18-10-2010, 10:44   #187
Road_Hog
Inactive

Road_Hog is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
The sky will have only picked up Astra 2 (where sky is) unless you moved the sky dish, the Hotbird, Astra 1 and eutelsat share some channels but they are in different orbits

Where is the sky dish you're testing it on? If yours at the same house then you could just buy a cheap quad LNB, run both recievers off the same dish and then sell the ross dish/lnb
Okay, so basically, just the one satellite with this dish (if you want to continue receiving Sky)?

The Sky is mine at home. The current set up was, Sky downstairs being used as freeview (stopped subscribing about a year ago) and upstairs was freeview through an OnDigital box (Nokia Mediamaster 9850T) which I'd had from when OnDigital first started. Now something has happened to the aeriel and the cost of getting someone out to go up on the roof was somewhat more than buying the Freesat system. Also the digi box would have needed replacing when the digital switch over is complete here.

So, it was my intention to do exactly as you have suggested, I just wasn't sure if I could run two different systems from the same dish. I was originally going to fit the Ross dish but upon getting on top of the garage, I realised that I couldn't fit it where I wanted to (no line of sight) and the only place I could realistically fit it was right next to the Sky dish (would be an eyesore).

This looked like a good buy (less than £6 inc. postage), any reason I shouldn't go for thsi replacement LNB?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-SKY-QU...item2c574c7ceb

Lastly, the screw connecters on the cable supplied with the dish are prefitted and it would seem that you would have to drill a much larger hole for the cable than is necessary. What have others done, I'm loathed to mess with a cable and have to refit the connector but it seems silly to drill a larger hole than is necessary.
Road_Hog is offline   Reply With Quote