View Single Post
Old 18-11-2017, 13:26   #139
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Technical details posted in the 'Coming Soon' thread suggest to me that it may be STV that VM would use as the single signal to pump throughout their network.

This tactic would keep ITV programmes for VM viewers without paying any retransmission fees and lose them even more advertising revenue.

At the same time the advertising rates for the only independent ITV franchise left would probably increase due to their advertising being shown nationally on the VM network.
Forgot to mention that using an AD feed would also maintain the Audio Description service for those VM customers with sight problems throughout the UK.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here, surely this issue is black and white...

If ITV decide on a blackout on VM, why are posters suggesting they can use alternative means to keep showing ITV???

It seems simple to me, ITV pull the plug, if VM keep showing it then the lawyers are called in
In addition to what jj20x said, there is a legal precedent to consider that complicates matters even more.

AIUI a site called TVCatchup used to rebroadcast a load of FTA channels over the internet. They maintained that they were doing nothing wrong and, in fact, were helping to extend the reach of various broadcasters.

The commercial channels didn't like this as TVCatchup used to derive it's income from inserting their own adverts (as they saw it, on the back of the programmes that they paid for).

It went to court and it was ruled that TVCatchup could only rebroadcast channels 1-5 without permission and/or paying and rebroadcast fees. The site carried only channels 1-5 and some shopping channels last time I looked.

I have a feeling that this is what prompted the Government to change the law, so that eg ITV could force TVCatchup to pay something towards the programmes that they benefited from via retransmission fees.

Unfortunately, because of the sloppy way that the legislation was introduced and the greed of ITV, Virgin Media have become caught up in this mess.

Presumably, TVCatchup now have to pay something to ITV, whilst VM face having their service cut off if they refuse to follow suit- yet, as jj20x pointed out, the law also says that they 'must carry' PSB channels, so they have a duty to maintain the service!!

Reminds me of the time a man constructed a building without planning permission. He was ordered to pull it down, but, since construction, some bats had made their home there.

He was told that if he disturbed the bats he would be prosecuted for interfering with a protected species, whilst at the same time being told that he would be prosecuted if he didn't demolish the building!!!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote