View Single Post
Old 31-05-2016, 23:49   #1
blotchyprune
cf.addict

blotchyprune is on a distinguished roadblotchyprune is on a distinguished road
Hard drive - usb router -tv

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help with a problem I'm having...

My target is to attach my western digital external hard drive to my talktalk router via USB, therefore having my own personal wifi/cloud streaming service for music/photos/movies to any pc/tv/tablet on my wifi network.

The problem I'm getting is a lack of communication between them all...my pc and laptop both found the hard drive and are now mapped with read and write promisions and can see all the content no problems here, the main tv can see it but can only see 3 of 4 sub folders and not all the content in the other folders, ie only 25% of the albums under the music folder or only 50 of the 250 movies in the movies folder but also there is a guitar tutorials folder which doesn't show at all. The ones it can see seem to stream fine.

The tv in the bedroom can see it but can't talk to it at all. It just says failed to access the device.

Phones and tablet are the same as the main tv.

I'm assuming the devices are only showing what they are being told to as I doubt they are actively seeking and searching the drive via router for media files...so if that's the case why isn't the router pushing all the data out or if it is as the pcs can see it...why are the devices refusing it?

Not that I'm some religious fan boy but all the devices are samsung, should that make any difference.

The file types are the same .avi .mp3 etc.

I'm might be forgetting a few details but will edit if they come to me but would really appreciate help with this for now.

Thanks guys.
blotchyprune is offline   Reply With Quote