View Single Post
Old 25-05-2016, 18:05   #962
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVWatcher View Post
he also interchangeably and utterly wrongly flips between using On Demand and Streaming as if they're the same thing. They're not.

When I invited him to repost his (probably revised) position on the topic using the correct terms he told me no-one but a few awkward types cared about the different meanings.

And yet they clearly greatly affect his central claim.
Err, I think he is genuinely at times getting confused, nothing more than that.

Tv used to be simple, here are the main changes:

1: All tv channels were broadcast over the air, received by an aerial and all tv shows were live.
2: All tv channels were broadcast over the air, received by an aerial and some tv shows were live, some not.
3: Some tv channels were broadcast over the air, some through satellite systems and some through cable systems. Some shows were live, some were not.
4. Some tv channels were broadcast over the air, some through satellite systems and some through cable systems. Some shows were live, some were not. Some shows were available live (or not) via on demand systems on cable and satellite.
5. Some tv channels were broadcast over the air, some through satellite systems and some through cable systems. Some tv channels were streamed over the internet. Some shows were live, some were not. Some shows were available live (or not) via on demand systems on cable and satellite or on the internet.

etc etc and I haven't even mentioned mobile.

The point I am trying to make is tv used to be simple. Now its complicated. I believe it will go full circle and be simple again as far as the viewer is concerned. But the underlying nuts and bolts of how we get tv will be far more complicated than even today.

I do think Old Boy should be given a little, just a little, bit of slack if he gets confused by different terminology to discuss what is an increasingly ever complicated subject.

I happen to think this is the best discussion thread on this forum! Much better than "coming soon" which never comes....