View Single Post
Old 31-08-2010, 11:15   #49
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TalkTalk tracking you, phorm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadyslexia View Post
First off it is a legal obligation to comply with the code specified.

Second I know NTL did not cache the page for one simple reason, the content on the page would be updated wen I uploaded new content to my web server.

Now plese stop trying to defend the undefendable.

I am not going to reply to you any more.
No it is not a legal obligation to comply with that Pragma, it's not even an obligation within the HTTP standard.

ntl's caches may well have been treating your content in the manner I described - verifying it with the origin server then serving some content from the cache - you have no way to know this is the case or not without having detailed logs of the transactions.

I can defend whatever I wish, sticking your fingers in your ears and singing 'I can't hear you' because you can't back up your points merely undermines your arguments, not mine. You clearly didn't know how cache control works and made a blanket statement which you can't cite any kind of proof for.

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Not sure I believe it is. It *is* a requirement of the various HTTP standards that the directive be respected, but following HTTP standards is not a legal requirement.

I suppose copyright law might apply.
It's not a requirement of HTTP that that meta is respected, HTTP 1.1 cache-control headers are an obligation.

---------- Post added at 11:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Now if you want to know what I am doing about it you will have to wait and see as it happens. Sorry this is a public forum and I am not going to publish for the world to know what or when I am doing this or that. Yes, I will publish what has done, as I have to date but only after it is done.
Ignoring the rest of it as there has been no legal precedent I'm aware of in the UK on these matters - legal precedent in the US is that caching is 'fair use' regardless of code within the websites.

Breaking T+Cs is not illegal, if these copyright lawyers of yours are telling you this they are quite mistaken. It may leave a civil suit open but it is most certainly not against the law.

I look forward, with interest, to seeing how this pans out, presumably in court.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote