View Single Post
Old 14-05-2010, 22:29   #59
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Just got 50mb Broadband - Signal levels ok?

I am seeing download speeds of 3.5mb/sec which I think is perfectly reasonable for a 50mbit connection. If I get anything between 4-5 I am happy. In theory I could moan all the time because I should be getting 6mb/sec for my 50mbit connection but I can honestly say that I only 6mb/sec for the first time ever yesterday when I was hammering newsgroups. I think VM are ahead of the game in terms of speed atm in the sense that the majority of websites can't pump out enough juice to all it's visitors. If we could click our fingers and give everyone 50mbit in the country they would all be moaning. It isn't because VM arent providing the download speed, it is because on the majority of sites it just simply isn't available to be had. Maybe this time next year as things develop peeps won't have a problem pulling 5mb/sec and instead those of us 100mbit will be moaning that we can't download at 12.5mb/sec. It just takes time for everyone to catch up.

When I first got my 50mbit connection I was lucky enough that one server on speedtest.net gave me a true line test because none of the other ones did and VM said not to use speedtest.net because it didn't support 50mbit connections. The engineer ran a test off the official VM test server and it came back with 25mbits, what does that say about the VM servers?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote