View Single Post
Old 13-04-2011, 16:00   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: New install - wiring questions

1a - Buried in flexible green conduit, buried by good old manpower and a shovel.
1b - No
1c - Unknown, tech will advise on the day after surveying potential cable route you suggest him/her

2a - Incoming cable is a Siamese cable (RG6 coax and twisted copper telephone cable). Service to both the cable modem and Cable TV units are delivered by coax so they will run a cable o each device. Telephone uses standard twisted copper pair so if you have a Telephone network in your home they may be able to tap into the extensions rather than totally rewire a new telco line around your house.
2b - Yes, potentially, best to discuss with the team on the day. Im sure they will be happy to do this though.
2c - Yes, potentially. This will be at the techs discretion though. VM don't use satellite garde coax but we use triple shielded coax which snap on (compression) fittings to ensure a high quality connection. This prevents noise ingress into our network. Advise the tech your request on the day and let them decide.

3a - Yes this would be the preferred route by the tech as its most direct (much better than internal wiring through multiple rooms!)
3b - Yes, although fixing the cable to the wall might be an issue? Advise the tech of your planned route and they will advise the best options on the day. I would say this is most favourable out of the 2 options, especially for yourself.

Hope this helps, give me a shout if you need anything else.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote