View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 16:32   #4702
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - 10/10, and to think I was going to wait for the DVD!

As you should all know, the original source material was essentially just a guidebook, so I couldn't see how they could make a story out of it, unless it was about Newt's travels across the world. The fact that the film is set in 1926 New York put paid to that idea. So, not that interested.

And then I had a rrrroooooooooooouuuuuuggggghhhhh week at work. Insane levels of graft following That Day - I refuse even to mention it. You know the one I mean. The one that isn't white and comes the day before Saturday.

Yeah, that day. I thought that was bad, but...anyway.

I decided to treat myself today. I'm so glad I did. It's a wonderful tale, very Rowling-esque...hardly surprising, since she wrote it. I had a merry time spotting creatures from the book and trying to identify them - the Niffler was very well-realised (and cute, I thought). There are several that aren't in the book, too.

Some not-so-subtle hints of Things To Come, such as mention of Albus Dumbledore and the Lestrange family, plus the Sign of the Deathly Hallows. Seeing the differing attitudes of American and British wizards was intriguing...and I loved that the American wizards had an equivalent of the FBI!

Casting was spot-on. The lead actor reminded me very much of Matt Smith, and played Newt in much the same way as Matt played the Doctor.

Lots of humour, very human touches, tragedy and life lessons regarding tolerance and understanding...as I said, very Rowling-esque. I rather hope she turns it into a novel.
I am glad you enjoyed it but unfortunately I felt completely let down. I am not a huge Harry Potter fan but I went to see each of the films at the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed them. I was looking forward to this one and went in completely open minded and came out very disappointed. I thought the story was very week and most of the magic, especially at the beginning of the film, was written to remind people it was affiliated to Harry Potter and so all the children can go "wow, look at that".

I came out of thinking that the only reason they made it was for a Harry Potter cash in. Somebody would have sat there rubbing their hands thinking "great, another $1 billion in the bank" and the fact that they are making 5 of them is a joke (especially as they claim they aren't Harry Potter prequels).
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote