Thread: Tivo V6 Routerswitch off
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 12:16   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Routerswitch off

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
No I get that ben, but how do the older V-HD boxes get their guide updates in that case?

What I mean was, I thought the Tivo boxes got their guide updates alongside the TV signals rather than the internet connection. And so therefore the V6 should be the same - using their TV signals rather than their WiFi connection.
Spiderplant could probably explain it better, but the V boxes use a different EPG method, but even they have a data connection back to VM (this allows for control of On Demand amongst other things).

The TiVo platform has always been designed to 'dial in' to a TiVo server to get EPG updates. The original TiVo boxes did this over a literal dial up connection - screechy modem and all.

The later boxes changed to be able to do this over an available broadband internet connection. As far as I know in the US this is always via an external network connection, the VM box was fairly unique in having a connection built in.

Last edited by BenMcr; 10-03-2017 at 12:24.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote