View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 15:19   #6
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Car ploughs into pedestrians outside the Natural History Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I do think news companies should stop treating any incident that might be terrorist related with such force if the circumstances are otherwise unremarkable. Yesterday this car crash was broadcast across the world. Nigel Farage was straight on Fox News to vent about the danger of living in London, Katie Hopkins was telling tourists (well any tourist sad enough to read her Twitter) that's it's unsafe to come, news channels were broadcasting BREAKING NEWS. It was a traffic incident and people did the terrorists job for them, spreading fear and terror, without them needing to do anything.

An act of violence committed with terrorist intent does add an additional dimension to it but I am not convinced it adds so much more to turn a relatively common crime/accident to an international news story.
I agree and have said this many time before. The media has no interest in playing anything down, quite the reverse in fact since they need to fill their pages and airtime with something - true/accurate/reliable or not. What we're seeing increasingly is the media tending towards the lowest common denominator and having a direct interest in reporting and sensationalising stuff before any facts are known, whether it be incidents such as this or the hearsay surrounding our politicians. I'm increasingly finding the clamour for a 'story' to be as unedifying as it is unprofessional.

Last edited by Osem; 08-10-2017 at 15:25.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote