View Single Post
Old 15-02-2012, 11:12   #5
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Re: Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Speedtests are subject to the same kind of variations as everything else in or on the internet.

Speedtests will only be as fast as the fastest link in the chain, back in the old days your connection was almost always the slowest link hence speedtests could accurately measure that and that alone. Now that end user connections are so much faster the effect of everything else in the middle is becoming far more apparent, making speedtests both more and less relevant at the same time.

At one end of the spectrum, anyone with a good "feel" of how internet connections work will know an automated speedtest is only one of many tools available in determining the characteristics of a connection, at the other end anyone just wanting to know "how fast is my internet running" should just look at their modem stats.
pretty good point but people want to know there getitn there speed and rely ont eh spee test site a lote a lot withotu realisign ther emore toe speed test that meets teh eye.

but the vast of times i have seen somone go i am only getting 5.5Mb/s and i am 50MB amases me to as peopel really dnt get that 5.5Mb/s equates roughly to bout 43MB meanign they are getting pretty much all there speed an not a 1/10th liek they think
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote