View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 09:14   #11
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are Smart Meters a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post

Some say it's a problem, some say it's an advantage. Because of how flexible general-purpose computing chips are these days, once you have the hardware in place you can do just about anything (including remotely upgrading and adding more features). If the capability is there, might as well use it any way you can.

Smart meters are unlikely to ever use your home broadband for anything other than backup, and most likely not even that.
I'm still not convinced of the benefits. How does the meter know what appliances I'm using make up the 1kw draw? (or do they depend on sensors on major appliances). My meter is an old-fashioned disc type, and I can tell at a glance if my usage is low, medium or "Jeez that's turning a bit quick..."

The other thing is that I know of many electricity supplies in areas with precisely zero mobile phone reception (deep valleys etc) How will these "phone home"?
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote